Stop letting OTAs control your pricing strategy. Download the guide now for the latest tips and tricks to get ahead of OTAs.
Metasearch findings: When deeper discounts don't win the click
How you can outsmart the OTAs with dynamic pricing, not deeper discounts.
How to stay competitive without heavy discounts
In metasearch the common belief is that the lowest price wins. However, recent Triptease data reveals a more complex picture. While having a competitive price is crucial, excessive discounting doesn't always equate to more direct clicks to the booking engine.
Lowering prices can, and does, help hotels beat OTAs. But it’s important to be precise, and strategic, to win direct bookings without sacrificing your margin. Continuous over-discounting is a problem, just like being undercut is, because hotels only need to be slightly cheaper than OTAs to attract the click. A little can go a long way.
The graph above shows that while OTAs appear to need to continually offer greater discounts to entice clicks, hotels can achieve a competitive advantage and maintain a healthy CTR by undercutting OTAs by a marginal percentage. This nuanced understanding of pricing strategies can inform hoteliers when they make decisions about how to position their rates on metasearch engines effectively.
What you can do to get your pricing just right
Ad tech features like Price Match on Metasearch can help do this for you. It makes sure your prices stay competitive but not too low. Triptease Price Match on Metasearch detects when an OTA is undercutting you and dynamically adjusts the direct price by ‘just enough’ in the auction and on Google Metasearch so you win the direct booking.
The power of the tool lies in the fact that it’s 100% automated, but that hoteliers remain in full control of who they price match and by how much. Triptease will only ever price match your selected OTAs with your pre-set discount options.
Discover how to beat OTAs with automated pricing in the Hoteliers' Guide to Metasearch Pricing in 2024
- Get insights on finding how hotels can achieve a competitive advantage and maintain a healthy CTR where your prices are attractive to guests but also maintain your hotel's profitability.
- Understand regional pricing strategies so you can tailor your approach based on your hotel's location and guest demographics.
- Discover how to effectively benchmark your hotel’s Metasearch CPCs to manage budgets.
- Explore the benefits of automated tools in maintaining rate parity and enhancing direct bookings.
- Learn how using pricing across your marketing channels can impact your guests booking experience.
Want to get ahead in hotel pricing? Download the guide below